In November 2012 over 200 delegates participated in the 13th Annual World Vaccine Congress Lyon in France. This event brings together vaccine leaders and policy makers from around the globe. Attendees at this highly successful event were fortunate enough to hear this exciting presentation delivered by Martin Friede (Team Leader, WHO), â€˜Challenges to Using Adjuvants'.
This presentation focuses on:
- Adjuvants are difficult to use, more difficult to get approved, and even more difficult to get accepted by the public.
- Only use them where they are really needed.
- Adjuvants have a very poor track record of converting poorly immunogenic recombinant antigens into vaccines.
- Optimise the antigen before trying to enhance immunity with adjuvants.
- Adjuvants likely to be critical for next-generation vaccines