More than 400 scientists from around the world added their names to the Scientific Declaration on Polio Eradication on April 11th 2013 to assert that polio eradication is possible and express their confidence in a new plan to create a polio-free world by 2018.
"Polio eradication can be our generation's legacy to all future generations. Only working together can we make history and end polio." Scientific Declaration on Polio Eradication.
The 8 goals urged by the Eradication and Endgame Strategic Plan – a new strategy by the Global Polio Eradication Initiative – and supported by the signatories, are:
- Scientists to develop new and better tools to accelerate and sustain eradication
- Partners, including GPEI and vaccine manufacturers, to ensure sufficient supply of and access to different types of vaccines required for eradication
- Endemic country leaders and international program officials to stay fully committed and accountable to stop transmission.
- Endemic country governments and partners to strengthen security measures and deepen engagement with community and religious leaders
- International partners and national programs to strengthen linkages across polio vaccination efforts, routine immunization and other initiatives
- Partners, and national and global programs, to commit to strengthen routine immunization
- Partners to fully fund the Strategic Plan
- Civil society to continue to support efforts to end polio forever.
Do you support the declaration? Did you add your name to the list?
You can join our discussion on LinkedIn or leave a comment below, I'd love to hear what you think.