Dr Catherine Weil-Olivier, Professor of Pediatrics, University Paris VII, France joined us at the World Vaccine Congress Lyon 2012 to lead the discussion into Influenza vaccination coverage rate in children: Reasons for a failure and how to go forward.
Why work for prevention in children?
- Children are major disseminators during epidemics
- High attack rates
- Duration of viral shedding post symptoms onset children >>> adults, up to 10-14 days
- High titres of viruses in naso-pharynx
- Promiscuity (DCC, schools)
- Transmission of influenza both in the household and the entire community, including elderly
Burden of disease summary
Burden of disease- YES
- High rates of hospitalization
- Pediatric admissions for pneumonia
- School absenteeism, Parental absenteeism
High infection incidence due to a high transmission incidence
Who needs flu shot?