New Modes of EU Support for Vaccine R&D in Europe: EU health research in Horizon 2020
Why EU support for vaccine R&D? Dr Andrea Holtel summarises the reasons behind EU support for Vaccine development as:
- High impact: eradication, pandemics
- Cost-effective for health systems & society
- Protective vaccines for only few diseases
- Therapeutic vaccines only at beginning
- Boost by major technological innovations
- Important societal target groups (elderly…)
- Vaccine R&D in Europe and the world
The previous features of Vaccine R&D will help the EU to improve the general health of the continent, economically boost its industry, boost EU research, promote EU integration in the ERA and encourage global contribution.
Horizon 2020 is the next framework programme for research and innovation. Simplified, it is a single programme with a total budget of 80 billion EUROS, aimed at promoting more innovation, whilst being heavily focused on societal challenges and facilitating broader access.
Why not download the full presentation and discover about EU support for vaccine R&D in Europe, including:
- Vaccine R&D under the new research and innovation framework programme “Horizon 2020”
- Innovative partnerships focussing on vaccine development in Europe
- Roadmapping infrastructure needs to support vaccine R&D in Europe
Dr Andreas Holtel, DG RTD Health Research, European Commission